Dear Hayes Families,
Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year! We are excited to start back and see all of our new and returning students. We are dedicated to providing a safe, inclusive, and engaging learning environment where every child thrives academically, socially, and emotionally. We want to instill a sense of belonging, pride, and growth in every student. We believe that a strong partnership and collaboration with families is essential to this process. Thank you for entrusting us with the opportunity to educate your child. Together, we will make this school year a memorable one!
Please read on for important “start of year” information. Most school updates will be sent via email. If you are not receiving district and school emails, update and submit your information by updating information in the Registration Gateway. This can be accessed through the Lakewood City Schools website. If you need assistance, please contact our office.
- August 18: Class lists available in Clever at 4:00 pm
August 24: PTA Popsicle Night (playground)
August 24: Material drop off 5:00pm-6:00pm - enter through Lakewood Hts. doors
Class lists will be posted at this time as well outside of the entrance (Grades 1-5)
August 25: First Day of School for Grades 1-5
August 25, 26, 27: Kindergarten Screening Appointments
August 29th: Kindergarten Curriculum Night 6:00-7:00 pm
August 30: First Day of School for Kindergarten Students
August 31: Curriculum Night 6:00-7:00 pm (Grades 1-5)
September 12: First PTA Meeting 6:30 pm
September 28: Picture Day
Please join me in welcoming the following new and returning staff members, as well as staff members with new roles at Hayes Elementary!
Lauren Katona -1st Grade Teacher
Greg Ealy - Intervention Specialist
Beth Saylor - Paraprofessional
Kayleigh Sykora - Media Specialist
Brad Karabaic - PE Teacher
Stephanie Grant - Band
Pattie Mullinax - Orchestra
School Bell Schedule:
Children that walk to school must enter and exit the school building through the Delaware Avenue doors. During morning arrival time students are expected to line up on their designated sidewalk lane which is clearly marked by grade level. Upon dismissal time students are expected to use their designated sidewalk lane to access the front Delaware Avenue sidewalk. Children should stay off the grass and out of the existing flower beds and plantings.
When it is raining the children may seek shelter underneath the covered entrance areas. This does not abdicate the need for children to arrive as close to the 8:45 a.m. bell as possible.
Children that get a ride to school may enter and exit the school building through the main entrance doors off the parking lot or the Delaware Avenue doors. For further clarification on this process, please see the section entitled, Traffic Directives: Morning Drop-Off & Afternoon Pick-Up.
Children that arrive at school after 9:00 a.m. must enter the building through the main entrance doors facing the parking lot and report to the school office. They will be given a tardy slip and sent to class.
Children are expected to leave school property upon dismissal and go directly home unless they are involved in a school-sponsored activity/club.Students may not enter the playground area without an adult until 4:00 pm.
Traffic Directives: Morning Drop-off and Afternoon Pick-up
Every adult is expected to follow the Hayes School drop-off and pick up plan.
The success of these plans depends on you. We understand that at times, especially in bad weather, you may have to wait, but your patience and cooperation are important for the safety of the children.
1. All children must exit and enter their cars on the curb-side...no exceptions. SAFETY FIRST! The safety of your child is paramount.
2. Enter at the east end of the parking lot. Drive west on the N. Marginal to Olive Ave., turn right onto Olive Ave. and then turn left into the parking lot. Please note that when school is in session, Olive Ave off Delaware Ave is a Do Not Enter from 8:00am.–4:00 pm.
3. Remain in your car and form a single-file line, curb side closest to the building. You need to display your child’s name in the front passenger window (provided by Hayes). As vehicles execute a successful drop-off/pick up, pull ahead to the Main Entrance. Remain in your car. (Your child will be escorted to you). NO PARKING!
4. Exit at the west end of the parking lot. Exit south and turn right only (One Way) onto the N. Marginal and proceed to the traffic light at the intersection of the N. Marginal and Woodward Avenue.
5. Drivers must not drop-off and/or pick-up students on the north side of Delaware Avenue or the N. Marginal. We ask for your cooperation as children crossing traffic creates an unsafe situation and is an accident waiting to happen.
6. The parking lot side of the building will be for people remaining in line in their vehicle. No Parking and no waiting outside the door for your child.
Elementary students will have five specials this year, one on each day of the week. They are: Information and Digital Literacy, Physical Education, Music, Art, and STEM. Fifth graders who elect to play an instrument will have two days of Band or Orchestra, Physical Education, Art, and STEM. Your child’s classroom teacher will share the class schedule with you at the start of the year.
Absence Line: Please call 216-529-4304 to report absences. This will help to keep our office line open for other needs. You can call this number and leave a message 24/7.
School Safety Tip Line: The Safer Ohio School Tip Line is a free safety resource available to all Ohio schools. The tip line is an anonymous reporting system that accepts both calls and texts 24 hours a day. Calls or texts to 844-SaferOH (844-723-3764) are answered by analysts within Ohio Homeland Security. We encourage everyone in our community to use this tip line if they hear or see something suspicious or unusual. #SpeakUpSaveLives
Medications: If your child needs medication administered during the school day, a parent should plan to bring in the medication and a completed authorization form to Back to School Night or on the first day of school. The form can be found on the Lakewood City Schools website. Click on “Forms” and select the appropriate form (for prescribed medication, EpiPen, and/or inhaler). For further information, please visit the district website, Click on “Departments” and select “Health Services” or contact our school health center.
I am looking forward to a wonderful 2023-2024 school year! Should you have any questions or need anything, please feel free to contact me by phone at 216-529-4228 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please view our family handbook on the school website.
Eric Fortuna, Principal
Hayes Elementary School
Lakewood City Schools